Friday 14 February 2014

OUR PRIDE

       
~OUR PRIDE~


Today is the day she said
As she took a bucket
Out of the bed.
I was confused I couldn't understand
Then said she, go have a look
If it isn't beautiful!
Could she be referring to the mourners?
For I could hear a noise outside.
But what could be so beautiful about mourning?
So went I and saw I
Something that caught my eyes
It could never be the curves
Nor the hips and waists
Neither could it have been the breast
But the beads!

I couldn't desist from that lovely dipo sight
These beads on their wrist and waists
Was really quite hard to resist.
Could it be because she said it does not rust?
Or because it has something special
My tribe’s men trust?
Nor because it was a special mothers treat?
But no matter!
I wasn't there for answers but;
To look if it isn't that beautiful.

With strict eyes I watched
One after the other
Dede pass with pride all over her body
Korkor’s feet trembling with pride
Mammles’s buttocks wobble with her pride
Akwele’s succulent breast bounced and vibrated
Seductively with pride in the midst of beautiful beads.
This is beautiful-I shouted!
Could it be the Stature?
Or the texture-or even the structure?
For mine innocent brain was so excited.

The load alone was one thing
Aside the beautiful colours they displayed.
As I looked I could see erected nipples
Peeping their ways at my direction
As if they wanted to ask me, are you yet ten?
I couldn't stand it for another minute
So with great enthusiasm I ran
Calling on my Mother’s name
Mother-Mother!-it is indeed beautiful
And I am proud of the colours.
---Fampah Coyish---

© By Fampah Coyish-Awoken By Poems 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment