Saturday 5 July 2014

YOU, POET?

YOU, POET?

If I could ever answer this straight
Bet you me, I would get this right
I would, though the truth will seem too bright
Cause every time I’m always tight with fear.
What would I say, if asked?
Yet I’m always asked each night.

Do you not have eyes?
Have you left your sight at birth?
Oh, ye of little passion!
Where have you left your compassion?
Why daily undermine me-
Why taunt me with disbelieve?
Search my works
And you shall find.

Do I always have to boast in myself?
That; yea I am a poet-
An African poet of course?
 Need me bigger glasses,
And long grey hair to prove?
When I play with words,
And control your emotions.
When I beat your minds whenever I lie in metaphor.
Confuse you with anastrophe,
When I remind you of your own selves with allusions?
When I sway your souls
To mysterious lands with anagrams
And when I rhyme you nod your heads to the schemes?

Yea I’m a poet
And if that is what you want to hear me spit
I’m a poet and an African poet.
But the fact that I don’t write anything about Africa
Doesn’t mean I hate my origin
And being an African poet doesn’t mean
I should always be tied to
The apron of my past histories.

A poet should be free to write what is given him
By inspiration and not try to steal
From the archives of heaven
Just to prove and impress
Yearning souls who really want to suck
From the nipples of racial pride
That yes he is really an African.

Yes I’m a poet an African poet
For that matter
So curse me you if you feel I write like none
Hate me you if you feel I sound like not
But trust me you, a poet is a poet
Whether African or not
And I write what is given me by
Inspiration not
What to prove that yea
Truly I’m an African.  
---Fampah Coyish---

© By Fampah Coyish-Awoken By Poems 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment